Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why Two Kids?

Some of you have asked, why am I referring to D and J as kids? Are we kids? When do you officially reach adulthood? Is it when you are married? I say, no. I know several married people who are either very young; still in their teen years - they can't possibly be adults, right? I know some who are older but still act like they are in their teen years. The same goes for parents. Are you an adult when you have a child? I still say no. What about teen mothers? Granted, you should act like an adult once you choose to raise a human-being. Sadly, that is not always the outcome.

So I sit here, the day before my 27th birthday, and ponder the fact that I still refer to my husband and myself as a "kid." I definitely still think of myself as a child. I have so much to learn and much growing to do. I am slightly miffed by the fact that I am getting closer and closer to 30, which, in my opinion is probably adulthood. My view that I am a child may also be a result of constantly feeling younger than everyone else - always a step behind. I am surrounded by experienced lawyers who seem unsatisfied until they remind me that I am, in fact, the new young lawyer. I am convinced that they all see me as a 23 year-old girl, still trying to find her way. When will they all see me as "an adult?" My husband says I will look 25 well into my 30s. Great. I am doomed to be tagged the young new lawyer for at least five more years.

But, why is D one of these so called "kids?" I have to say, he is more mature and grown up than most. At 22, while most boys were drinking until they passed out or puking, D was fighting for our country. He was forced to grow up faster than the rest. Not only was he forced to become independent and self-sufficient, but his mind had progressed way beyond his years. At 23, he was talking about owning and setting up our house, together. He yurned for the day that we could start our lives, together, as adults. Again, you are thinking, then why the "kid" title? I think I will always see D as a young man. It is so hard to believe that he is almost 1/3 of the way through his 28th year of life. When I met him, he was 20. And there are many days, when we are alone, that the same 20 year old boy shines through. In a good way. I look at him today and I can still see that young boy, full of hope and the love in his eyes - not yet trodden by the hardships of life. I know he will have that glimmer in his eye forever.

While we are growing up, and have been growing up together, we are still the same in so many ways. We are still those two kids who met in college. And while, it is 7 and 1/2 years later, and we are more the wiser with so many changes and challenges, we are still the same inside.

Just two kids, finding their way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi... I was looking at Kristi's blog and found yours! Hope you don't mind if I look in :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message.